Thursday, March 10, 2011

Endometriosis Awareness Month

This month, March, is Endometriosis awareness month.  I designed a bracelet to support Endo. and I am wearing it.  Maybe I will get brave and make more and sale them, and donate the proceeds to helping cure Endometriosis.  Here is a sample of my bracelet.  I have one side shown, on the opposite side it says "Know More."



I have spent time, and will continue to spend time sharing with you what Endometriosis makes me feel.  You can read my blogs and other blogs and learn how it has changed our lives.  You can hear about the pain it causes.  The goal of today's post is to give you and understanding of what Endometriosis is, so I will let Wikipedia.org explain the medical mambo-jumbo.  If you want to learn more it is very easy to look that information up with today's wonderful technology.  
"Endometriosis (from endo, "inside", and metra, "womb") is a gynecological medical condition in which endometrial-like cells appear and flourish in areas outside the uterine cavity, most commonly on the ovaries. The uterine cavity is lined by endometrial cells, which are under the influence of female hormones. These endometrial-like cells in areas outside the uterus (endometriosis) are influenced by hormonal changes and respond in a way that is similar to the cells found inside the uterus. Symptoms often worsen with the menstrual cycle."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis)

 The other pictures displayed on this page show what is being done to the inside of a woman's body as they fighting with this disease. I have more pictures of what has been done during my surgeries, but I do not full access to all my pictures at the moment, but I do believe that these chosen show you enough.

Endometriosis is a painful and lonely disease.  Even though there are a lot of women in the world suffering with this, it is still scary and lonely.  There are no two cases alike, and while one treatment may lessen the symptoms for one patient, it can make things worse for the other.  The doctors are baffled by this disease.  Us patients are annoyed and frustrated for having no cure.  

I am leaving you with information and a link to an Endometriosis Research Center with hopes that you will find a way to help. 
 "Endometriosis is a reproductive and immunological illness affecting nearly 176 million women and girls around the world.  Mistakenly stigmatized as merely painful periods, Endometriosis is far more than just "killer cramps".  The far-reaching effects of this Endometriosis can negatively impact all of society.  The ERC strives to make a positive difference in the lives of all those affected by the disease.  The ERC is an International leader in raising Endometriosis awareness; providing education, encouragement and empowerment to all those living with this illness; facilitating global Endometriosis research efforts; and so much more." (http://www.endocenter.org


No comments:

Post a Comment